Tuesday, May 25, 2010

First Day of class


So it was the first day of class Monday, and the past four days we've been here it's hard to even believe we are here for research and to learn! Especially since the previous day we went to Maracas beach (to the left), sooo nice!! Getting into school mode was hard for me, but the course curriculum is so fun and interesting it doesn't even seem like school. Each of our academic days for the first two weeks are structured from 8:30am to 4:30pm with a break in between from 11:30 to 1:30. I know, sounds rigorous but it's not as bad as it seems. According to the schedule a lot of that time will be spent on tours and learning about the country. So, the first half of the day our two professors who birthed the Afro-Caribbean Music Research Project (ACMRP) talked to us about conducting research and a lot of the technical reasons as to why we are here and what we will be doing. The second half of the day was one of the most enlightening experiences I've ever had in my life. Sunity came in for the 1:30-4:30 session she started off with two activities having to due with the human nature, which basically explained that we have more similarities as humans than differences. She asked us if we've ever asked ourselves the question "who am I?" and I, much like my other group mates have asked ourselves that question many times, but have yet to find the answer. She taught us that life is about living and being happy, and if you are unhappy it's a waste of life. Although she was talking to everyone in the group I felt as though her words were aimed directly towards me. She said many of the same things I've heard before but how she said it and the context of which it was said touched me differently. I thank her for that experience and I took a lot away from it.... On another note! I've realized that my spending has been crazy and I've only been out here for 4-5 days! I need to BUDGET BUDGET BUDGET!

Yellowgirl is wondering how do I focus on school when in such a beautiful place!?

No comments:

Post a Comment