Tuesday, June 15, 2010

"Music is the gift after life itself"- Ella Andall

Today, we met Ms. Ella Andall (above left) who is both a singer (a very good one) and an Orisha priest. Not to mention the mother of Efuwapwe, who we've met a few days prior. She talked about the rhythm of life and finding your own rhythm. When she was talking about this I once again, began to think about how I can apply this lesson to my own life. Instead of always listening to what others say and tell me to do with my life I must find my own way, my own rhythm. Intertwined with this lesson she gave each person in the room a sound to make and we created music, with only our voices and bodies, which are essential instruments in Orisha music. We then, got real close and sang with Ms. Ella, any song that came to our minds. This was very exciting because not only were we all getting the opportunity to sing with Ella Andall but through her presence a lot of people broke out of their shells and sang "I Remember" with gusto. At the end of her time with us she asked us if we had any questions about finding our own beat/rhythm to follow, however everyone asked her questions about herself. I could sense her want to get to know us and learn from us and her dismay that we had only inquired to know about herself. However, she welcomed and answered all of our questions happily. Ella, very much like all of the other wonderful people we have met here in Trinidad was open and giving. Once again I am blessed I got the opportunity to meet her and listen to her sing, this trip just keeps getting better and better.

Yellowgirl is wondering what can possibly be next!

No comments:

Post a Comment